This program enables you to use your voucher to subsidize your monthly mortgage payment when using ONE or ONE+Boston to purchase your first home. Your 30-year mortgage will be subsidized for 15 years, allowing you to use your voucher to help with the monthly mortgage payments. The program can be used to buy a condominium or single family home.
- Be a first-time homebuyer. This means that you have not owned a home at any point in the last three years.
- Take a homebuyer class. This class will help you get ready for the home buying process.
- Meet our down payment requirements. We require a 3% down payment to buy a condo or single-family home. At least 1.5% of the purchase price must be from your own savings.
- Have a total household income under our limits. Our income limits vary by community and the number of people in your household.
- Have less than $75,000 in total household assets. This includes any checking accounts, savings accounts, stocks, or bonds. But it does not include most retirement (401k, 403b, 457, traditional IRA) and college savings accounts.
- Meet our credit score limits. Your credit score must be at least 640 to buy a single-family or condo and at least 660 to buy a two/three family home. We also have options for people who don’t have any credit history.
- Agree to live in the property as your primary residence. If you stop living in the property, you must refinance out of your ONE Mortgage.
First, check with your housing authority to see if it participates in Section 8 to homeownership. If it does, take the following steps:
- Take a homebuyer education class: Find a class near you.
- Contact a Participating Lender: They'll help you get pre-qualified for the ONE or ONE+Boston Mortgage Program. Find a lender near you.
- Buy your first home!
For eligible Boston Housing Authority (BHA) residents: MHP's ONE Mortgage programs and downpayment assistance programs like MassDREAMS can work with the BHA's First Home Program, which can provide up to $75,000 in homebuying assistance when you purchase a home in Boston. The BHA web site has more information.
If you have questions, call us Toll free at 1-800-752-7131 or email us at ONEmortgage@mhp.net