MHP works with communities to create innovative policy and financing solutions that provide affordable homes and better lives for the people of Massachusetts
MHP's goals for 2022 are focused on:
- increasing affordable housing
- creating housing that is sustainable
- advancing the understanding that housing is a human right
- promoting racial equity and anti-racism in the affordable housing system.
- In setting these goals, MHP affirmed its core philosophy of being a strong mission-driven organization dedicated to diversity, equity and inclusion.
Key facts about MHP's use of private funds for affordable housing:
- MHP was founded in 1985 as a statewide, nonprofit quasi-public organization.
- MHP finances affordable housing through a state law that requires companies that acquire Massachusetts banks to make loan funds available to MHP for the creation and preservation of affordable multifamily housing.
- MHP helped create the SoftSecond Loan Program to address racial disparities in mortgage lending. Now known as ONE Mortgage, MHP works with over 40 participating lenders to help more low- and moderate-income households purchase their first home.
MHP's work is focused in four main areas:
MHP helps communities build affordable housing. It has provided technical assistance in over 335 communities. MORE
With private bank funds and other capital sources, MHP has provided $1.6 billion for the financing of 26,000 apartments. MORE
ONE Mortgage has helped over 23,000 low- and moderate-income families buy their first home. MORE
Data & Policy
MHP's Center for Housing Data collects, interprets and shares data to ensure that we meet our housing needs. MORE