Posted on May 13, 2021
Registration is now open for MHP's Housing Institute. Now in it's 14th year, this event will be held virtually on three consecutive Thursday afternoons in June.
This intensive training is designed to actively engages participants in discussion and problem-solving activities related to affordable housing development in Massachusetts. The event is for local leaders, municipal officials, volunteers, and employees in suburban communities, rural communities and Gateway Cities.
Normally a two-day event held at Devens, this is the first time MHP is holding the event virtually. It was postponed last year due to the COVID-19 state of emergency.
The conference will be on June 3, 10, 17 from 1 to 4:30 p.m. Each day will be broken up into three sections with 15-minute breaks in between. The emerging theme is “Intent vs. Impact,” with a distinct focus for each day. See below for more information and how to register.
Day 1: Improving Access to Affordable Housing
- 1-1:30 p.m. - Building Thriving, Inclusive Communities with Jarred Johnson of Abundant Housing MA and TransitMatters
- 1:45-3:00 p.m. - Lowering the Barriers to Affordable Housing
- 3:15-4:30 p.m. - Strategies for Improving Access
Day 2: Regulations and Land Use
- 1-1:30 p.m. - How Land Use Regulations Affect Race and Class Segregation with Dr. Jessica Trounstine of the University of California, Merced, and author of Segregated by Design: Local Politics and Inequality in American Cities
- 1:45-3:00 p.m. - Expanding Housing Choice: Legislation and Local Efforts
- 3:15-4:30 p.m. - Missing Middle Housing Strategies for Municipalities
Day 3: Affordable Housing Development and Planning
- 1-1:30 p.m. - The Case for Equity-Driven Neighborhood Development with Dr. Tracy Corley of Community Law Foundation
- 1:45-3:00 p.m. - Exploring Housing Opportunities Near Transit
- 3:15-4:30 p.m. - Complete Neighborhoods
Full program descriptions and speaker lists will be posted in the coming weeks. All people who attend the Housing Institute will be provided with all presentation materials from the sessions so they can share the knowledge and tools with their communities.
Contact Katie Bosse at email@example.com or 857-317-8517 for more information about this or any other MHP-sponsored events.